Frequently Asked Questions on iTRAVL units
- What languages does the device support?
The device supports any language.
- Can I use it in Europe? Won't I have problems connecting the device to electric outlet?
The iTRAVL switching adapter supports 100 - 240 V networks, so you can also use the iTRAVL in Europe.
- Where are the dictionary and phrasebook data stored?
All linguistic content is stored on the SD card that is included in the standard delivery package.
- How do I operate the device?
By using a stylus, hardware buttons or voice commands.
- What kind of screen does the device have?
The device features a high-resolution color touch-screen.
- Can I use a headset?
Yes. A pair of silicone earphones with pushbutton microphone are included in the standard delivery package.
- Can I connect iTRAVL to my PC?
You can connect iTRAVL to a PC to recharge the battery; you can use an AC/DC adapter as well.
- Can I exchange data between iTRAVL and my PC?
The only data you can add to your iTRAVL are mp3 files. Otherwise, there is no need for this. All the information necessary for the well-prepared traveler is already on the device. You can add mp3 files using the USB connection or a card reader, depending on which version of iTRAVL you have.
- How many words are in the dictionary?
It all depends on the model. The English-Russian model, for example, contains 1,000,000 words.
- How many phrases are in the phrasebook?
The iTRAVL Audio PhraseBook features 14,000 professionally narrated phrases for each language pair.
- Please tell me about the Speech Recognition (SR) function.
The device is capable of advanced speech recognition. Simply speak an application name to have that application launched immediately. In the Audio PhraseBook, you can speak a phrase and the device will pronounce the translation of that phrase. You can also use voice input in the Calculator and Metric Conversion utilities.
- What languages are available for SR?
English, Russian, Polish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Czech, Ukrainian, Persian (Farsi), Romanian, Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Arabic, Hebrew, Thai, Greek, and Dutch.
- Is the SR engine speaker-independent or speaker-dependent?
Speaker-independent, with adaptation to the user's voice.
- What languages does the text-to-speech (TTS) engine support?
TTS generates the pronunciation of any text in English, and (depending on the model) Russian, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Polish, and Greek.
- Are there any games in iTRAVL?
Yes. Five educational games.
- Which operating system does the iTRAVL use?
The device is powered by Windows CE, version 5.0.
- Is the device heavy?
No, it weighs just 7.05 oz.
- How big is the device?
6.0 x 3.15 x 0.63 inches
- Is it fragile?
The iTRAVL is a very solid piece of equipment but we recommend that you use a silicon pouch (included in the standard delivery package) to protect it from the bumps and scratches that may damage the sensitive touch-screen.
- What accessories are supplied with iTRAVL?
- regular iTRAVL (without the scanner) comes with the following accessories in the standard package:
AC adapter, headphones and USB cable.
- iTRAVL Deluxe (with the scanner) comes with the following accessories in the standard package:
AC adapter, cradle for USB connection and charging, headphones.
- Can the iTRAVL be used hands-free?
- How are the applications organized?
The main menu is divided into four sections, each of which provides access to the relevant applications.
- Are the applications easy-to-use or do they require special training?
The device interface is designed to be extremely user-friendly.
- What is the MorphoFinder function?
MorphoFinder helps you find the source words (headwords) for past participles, gerunds, plural and adjective forms for English, Spanish, Russian, and Polish languages.
- How do I have a dictionary entry pronounced?
One of the ways you can have an entry pronounced is to tap the word with the stylus and hold the stylus down until the pop-up menu appears; then select Say in the pop-up menu.
- How is the User Manual accessed?
Tap the icon
in the upper right corner of the screen.
- How is the spell-checker in the dictionary activated?
Type a word, select Menu and then tap Spell.
- Please tell me what applications are particularly useful when traveling.
FCIA World Factbook, Audio Books, Size Equivalents.
- What different ways can be used to select items from the main menu of iTRAVL?
Voice commands, using the Stylus, and using Soft Keys (where applicable).
- What is the password to unhide slang words in the Dictionary?
The password is: showslan
- Which application features the spell-checking function?
- How can one record and add a user-defined phrase and have the device recognize it?
This is performed from within the iHELP section of the main menu.
- Is it possible to change the font size?
- What are the time management/planning applications in iTRAVL.
- What might be the reason the device doesn't react properly when the screen is tapped with the stylus?
The touch-screen has not been calibrated.
- Can one use the iTRAVL features while listening to music in the Audio Player application?
Yes. Just use Menu / Hide to hide the Audio Player window.
- Which mode/view should you choose to add appointments in the Calendar application?
You must be in the Agenda View or Day View to add appointments.
- How do I find out what 62 degrees Fahrenheit is in Celsius?
Use the Metric Conversion utility.
- Which supplementary dictionaries available in iTRAVL English-Russian model?
Business, Financial, Law, Medical, Oil, Telecom.
- How is the backlight auto-off time adjusted?
Navigate to the Settings application, select the Power Options icon and then set the desired option.
- What is the Cultural Notes application?
The application helps you become familiar with modern Arab-Islamic traditions.
- Within the Audio PhraseBook I can either press the Microphone button (or the Speaker button) and hold it down for a second, or I can press the Microphone button (or the Speaker button) and instantly release it. What is the difference between these two operations?
"Press and release" is used for navigation while "press and hold for a second" is used for speech functionality.